Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bread Pudding

So let's get honest...you don't serve bread pudding because it's beautiful...you serve it because it's so good it causes your eyes to roll to the back of your head and your tongue to do cart wheels in your mouth! Today was our quilt meeting at Broadbent's and Janice suggested I make something Christmasy. So I decided to make bread pudding. Yummo! The above photo is the pudding before it went in the oven and the next photo is what it looked like when it was served. The recipe will be below.

This is a silly little Christmas book that I just had to have from Broadbent's today. You've got to try and find it in your neck of the woods as it will tickle your funny bone. I also had fun picking out fabrics for the Girl Gang quilt I'm working on. I'll show those tomorrow, along with some photos of the quilts that others shared at the meeting.
Bread Pudding Judi Style
For Thanksgiving I only had 7 people eating over which left lots of dough from homemade rolls, so I made the remaining dough into cinnamon rolls and then froze them after they were cooked. I took them out of the freezer on Monday so they would taste like 'day old'. 'Older' bread works best for pudding because it soaks up the milk just right. :) (just trust an old cook will you?) Use store bought cinnamon rolls if you want, otherwise you can make your favorite and use those.
Cut up cinnamon rolls to equal 8 cups
6 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup cream
1 1/2 cups half and half
3/4 cup sugar
1 T. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon (I use Pampered Chefs cinnamon blend. It's a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, orange peel, cloves, ginger)
(At this point you could add a cup of raisins and/or pecans)
Whip eggs, milk, etc. together and then pour over the chopped rolls and let soak for 15 minutes. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes in a 9 x 13 pan or custard cups in a water bath. Put the pan or the cups in a large baking dish and fill it with hot water until it is up the sides of the pan by about 2/3 of the way. Be careful taking it out of the oven as the water gets very hot. Serve with vanilla sauce
Vanilla Sauce
2 T. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 T. corn starch or clear gel
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. cream
Stir over low heat until sugar melts and it thickens slightly
I topped mine with fresh raspberries when I went to serve it.






1 comment:

  1. Judi! I am dying for that bread pudding! It has always been a favorite of mine and now that I can't have normal bread...well, let's just say...rice bread is okay, but it just doesn't cut it when it comes to bread pudding. I think I will have to try it agian with your wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing girl!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete