Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sprouted Pumpernickel Bread

Lately, I've been doing a lot of sprouting. I've made some of the best food I've ever put in my mouth from this cookbook. It's by Jillayne Clements and Michelle Stewart and I highly recommend getting it in your personal library. I had no idea these women were from Utah and so gifted and talented when I ordered the book online. But it has become my new favorite cookbook. I have never made any of the main dishes in the book as that isn't what I bought it for. But I have made the best flourless cinnamon rolls I've ever tasted, banana nut bread (recipe coming as I served it at my quilt groups trunk show on Tuesday), graham crackers, and now have made flourless pumpernickel bread and it is addicting. I love that everything is whole grain, no yeast, no refined sugars and good sources of fat. i.e. I use coconut oil in about everything that's called for any kind of fat.
This is sprouted rye. The photo below is sprouted spelt. What you need to know is you can sprout in about anything. The above sprouter was $2 at the DI. Everyone has a colandar and it's probably the easiest thing to sprout in and you can sprout in canning jars. Just use a piece of cheese cloth to cover the opening and drain the sprouts. Soak your sprouts overnight in clean water. Drain, put a reasonable amount into the container you're going to sprout in. Put in an area in your kitchen you won't forget to water and cover with a dish towel. Water before you go to bed that night and drain. In the morning, you should have a small white tail on the seed. You can see that in the photos here and below. What you may be wondering, is what are the benefits of sprouting the grain first. Well, first of all there are more nutrients...it's simply better for you. But for those of you who struggle with a sensitivity to gluten, many people find they can eat wheat again because much of the gluten is pre-digested in the sprouting process. May not work for everyone, but it sure has worked for our family.

After you grind up your sprouts in the food processor, you shape it into a loaf. Below I have formed two loaves because I did a double batch. I rose mine on a pizza stone because I wanted to cook the loaves right on it. Now I know what you're thinking...those look like cow patties Judi. Okay, so you're right...they do look like cow patties! But give me a chance before you judge them.
This bread is fabulous and a meal in itself!
The loaf right out of the oven with butter. YUMMY. The next morning I had it toasted with avocado, chopped onion and a slice of rice cheese. Beyond yummy! So filling it satisfied me until late afternoon. If you decide to try your hand at sprouted breads, please let me know...I'd love to hear your story!

Here's the recipe...
Pumpernickel Bread
3 c. fresh, sprouted rye
2 1/2 c. fresh sprouted spelt, kamut or wheat
1 egg
2 T. roasted carob powder
1 T. molasses
3 t. caraway seeds
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
Grind spelt and rye sprouts in a food processor until they form a ball of dough. Add egg, carob, molasses, baking soda, sea salt, and 2 t. of the caraway seed. Blend well, then shape into a round loaf and place on a buttered cookie sheet. Sprinkle with remaining caraway seeds and let rise for about 20 minutes. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Home sprouted is the best way to go. My mom loved sprouts and dabbled in it. My dad always made a big deal about it not being real food. Oh those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I really enjoyed reading your blogs. Will visit this website again for sure.




    buy tera gold
    Tera Gold
    WOW Gold

    ReplyDelete