Monday, September 5, 2011

Sprouted Banana Nut Bread

If you want to make sprouted wheat flour, you first soak the wheat, sprout the wheat, dry the wheat, then grind the wheat into flour. (see photo above for the drying process) It sounds more time consuming than it is. It's actually very easy and quite simple. It just takes a little planning. The benefit of this is the same as eating the sprouts. When the wheat is sprouted, it pre-digests much of the gluten and people who have struggled with gluten allergies for years, can now eat wheat again! It's been wonderful for our family...no stomach aches. When I went thru menopause, I have had to watch every carbohydrate that went into my mouth, but since I started to do this, I can eat all I want and have even lost a couple of pounds. The sprout causes the wheat to be more of a protein than a carb. This is the best idea ever!! Remember that when you are starting to think the above stated process is too arduous...trust me...it's worth it!
This is the banana nut bread that I cut up and served to my quilt group earlier this week. So many loved it and asked for the recipe, so I'll post it below.
Grandpa loves graham crackers and he can eat a box in a sitting. I decided to try and make him a healthier choice in a graham cracker. These are really yummy and use no refined sugar and turned out super crispy. At first I thought they were too crispy, but I can't leave them alone, they are so good! Kind of makes you happy Fall is coming and you can sip a cup of tea and dip a cookie if you feel like a little treat.
Banana Bread or Muffins
2 c. mashed bananas (about 6 small bananas)
1/2 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 c. butter or coconut oil, softened (I used half and half)
2 c. sprouted soft white wheat flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. cinnamon (I used Pampered Chefs cinnamon blend)
1 c. dehydrated cane juice
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. raisins
In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas and add remaining wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Pour dry ingredients into the banana mixture and blend. Then add the nuts and raisins. Pour into buttered muffin pans or 2 loaf pans and bake at 350. Muffins will take about 25 minutes and loaves will take 50 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi mom:) you're great

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK... no fair that I cannot eat wheat! This looks so good! I love all your wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete